So we are continuing on the journey of upgrading your Rails application in smallish steps. In this phase, we want to get all the tests we skip or marked as pending in Phase 3 passing now. Any big refactorings that are required are suggested to be done as separate tickets/stories.
Goal: Have all the tests passing. Once merged the test suite will always be green for both versions
- Create an “All tests passing on both versions” story and plan according to your process.
- Once you start on the story: Create a branch for it
- Attempt to Get the pending upgrade specs working
- Attempt to resolve any minor issues immediately
- Create new refactor stories as required
- If you created new refactor stories
- Merge as much as you can into the main branch
- mark the main story as attempted/done/finish/etc
- plan the new refactor stories according to your process
- once new stories are done, start from Step 1 again
- Run the specs on CI
- Wait for a green build
- remove pending_on_upgrade helper
- Add the changes to version control
- Share with the team that tests have to work on both versions
- Merge the branch into master
And that is it.