As a fun exercise, I would try and get some of my older abandoned Ruby on Rails projects up and running inside a docker container. The first project I tackled was called “Lotto in my Pocket”. It’s a Rails 3.0 project which I had last touched 6 years ago. My goal was to get everything setup inside docker for development and would deploy it via CircleCI onto my dokku instance.
Things I managed to do:
- I made a change to the Dockerfile to use “FROM ruby:1.9.3“
- In the docker-compose.yml I removed the spring section.
- kept one controller spec and I removed all other empty spec files
- removed gems that were not being used.
- updated nokogiri gem so it would compile
- updated rails gem
- updated omniauth and set all logins to use developer authentication
- created the app on dokku
- setup CircleCI to deploy the app
I really feel I am starting to get the hang of this docker and dokku stuff 🙂